Frequently Asked Questions

What is e-waste?

E-waste is electrical and electronic appliances that is broken, non-working or old/obsolete such as washing machine, refrigerator, television, personal/ desktop computer, air-conditioner and mobile phone.

What should I do with my e-waste?

Send/ discard your e-waste only to registered collection centre for a proper handling and management of e-waste in an environmentally sound manner.

Why should I recycle my e-waste?

E-waste contain hazardous substances such as lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic, chromium, polychlorinated biphenyls and etc. If e-waste is discarded ubiquitously such as into the landfill, burning or river, toxic chemicals may be released thus impacting the environment (air, soil, water) and human health. E-waste also contain precious metals such as gold, copper, palladium and silver which has high recycling value.

What types of e-waste that I can send to the collection centres?

E-waste such as Washing Machine /Dryer, Television, Computer /Laptop, Mobile Phone, Air-Conditioner and Refrigerator can be send to the collection centre. However, the list of items is not exhaustive my bloglearn this here nowreplica watch salephone case designhandyhülle mit kordelphone case with and you may ask the collectors if they receive other types of e-waste.

Where can I find the e-waste collection centres?

Find the list of registered collection centre here or through our mobile application MyEwaste available on Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

Why there is only 6 items of e-waste?

Currently, there are only 6 items of e-waste controlled under the e-waste Management System in Malaysia develop by the Department. Other e-waste such as small appliances (CD players, hair dryers, microwave ovens, printer etc.) will be included as the system advances.

Are there any incentives provided if I send my e-waste to the collector?

Yes. The incentive is a voluntary initiative by the collector and you may contact the collector to find out more on the incentives provided.


Are they any collection centres that offer a pick-up service?

Yes. There are collection centres that offer a pick-up service and you may find the information here.


Why there is no collection centre registered in my area?

Our department is still working on to introduce more new collection centre throughout the country.


Do I need any license to organize an e-waste collection campaign?

No license is required from the department to organize such event. However, the organizer is responsible to ensure that the e-waste collected is properly managed and send to the registered collector/ recovery facility.


What is the e-waste management flow?

E-waste from consumer   ->    Registered collection centers   ->     Licensed e-waste Recovery Facility.

Find out the e-waste management flow here.


What measures are being taken by the government to tackle the issue on e-waste?

Government of Malaysia through Department of Environment (DOE) is now establishing an Electrical and Electronic Waste Management System in Malaysia. In the system, a legal framework is developed to cover the management of e-waste from generation to disposal and implements the concept of extended producer’s responsibility and shared responsibility among all stakeholders (manufacturers /importers, retailers, consumers /waste generator, collectors and recyclers).


Are there any law mandatory for e-waste from household?

Generally, e-waste with the code SW110 is controlled under the First Schedule, Environmental Quality (Scheduled Waste) Regulations 2005, Environmental Quality Act 1974. However, the control and management of e-waste from household (from generation to disposal) will be regulated under the e-waste management system that is currently being developed by the department.

As a collector, where can I send all the e-waste that I have collected from the consumer/generator?

You must send the e-waste collected only to the licensed recovery facilities.


How can I apply to be a registered collection centre?

You may send us an email to and we will provide you with the registration form.


How long does it take to process an application as a registered collection centre?

Within 2-3 weeks after the Department has received a complete information from the applicant.

How to apply for a licensed recovery facility for e-waste?

Licensed can be applied from our DOE State’s office where the premises operate.

Who should I refer if there is an inquiry regarding e-waste?

You may email your inquiry to or consult with our representatives from Hazardous Substances Division, Department of Environment Headquarters.

Contact Us

Hazardous Substances Division,
Department of Environment,
Ministry of Environment and Water,
Level 2, Podium 3, Wisma Sumber Asli,
No.25, Persiaran Perdana, Precint 4,
62574 Putrajaya, Malaysia.

Complaint Line

Complaint Line: 03-8889 1972
Hotline: 1-800-88-2727
General Line: +603-8871 2000/2200
Fax: +603-8888 9987 /+603-8888 6120

Visitor Counter

Visits: 13413
Today: 21
Total: 893171